August 2014 LoDoNA Board Meeting Minutes

MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

OF THE LOWER DOWNTOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

HELD August 11, 2014

Pursuant to proper notice, a meeting of the Board of Directors of the Lower Downtown Neighborhood Association was held on August 11, 2014 beginning at 5:30 p.m.  The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 pm.  In attendance were: Bill Chrismer, Josh Davies, Lara Davies, Kelly Dick, Terry Hershey, David Hughes, Joyce Lozow, Kirstan Marks, Jim Merrill, Carol Pike, Christine Santucci, Jack Tone, and Mike West.

Josh Davies chaired the meeting and Secretary, Lara Davies, recorded the minutes.

Minutes:  David made a motion to approve the minutes from July, Jack seconded, and all were in favor.  The motion passed.

Guest Presentation:

Barbara Stockin-Steely gave a presentation on the Lower Downtown Design Review Board and the open spots they have on the board.  The two spots should be filled by an owner/operator and a resident of the LoDo District.   The seats are three year slots and they have two applications in already.  The monthly meetings are the 1st Thursday of each month at 7:30 am.  The Board has been working on an overhaul of the sign guidelines.  They would like this project done before the new board members start – around the October/November timeframe.

Currently the seats are held by Barb Gibson (resident) and Jessie Atkins (business owner).  Josh will email out an application to the group and interested candidates can speak with Mike about the board.

GNC:

David moved to approve two GNAs - Crimson (below Ted’s Montana Grill) and Tamayo (modification of premises).  Both of these had conditions on the licenses, which is the strongest language we can have.  Terry seconded the motion.  All were in favor and the motion passed.

Finances:

We are doing well.  This month we received $1750 in new memberships and we set up a separate account for the LoDo Lights project, which has $3240 in it. 

Rally in the Alley Update:

Bill reported that Rally in the Alley had been kicked out of Denver Start Up Week.  They felt it had just grown to be something more than just a Denver Start Up Week event.  Bill suggested that we still do an Alley event with Oh Heck Yeah and some of our food and beverage sponsors.  It could be the same time as a WeeBOT and be our “summer” event.  We could do it September 11th or 25th.  Also Holly Barrett is leaving LoDo District and maybe we could also combine it into a going away party.  Beautifying the alley efforts could be a legacy gift for Holly.  We would need to pay for permitting but if it was combined as a going away party for Holly the District could do the food and beverage and we would do the programming with Oh Heck Yeah and others.  It would be a joint LoDoNA and LoDo District event.   It could be called “Between the Streets” a LoDo Social event.  Lisa never signed the original agreement so we could hire Lisa May and each group would pay her $1,250 if we wanted to have her help us with it.    

Bill made a motion that we do an event called Between the Streets – A Rally in the Alley on September 10th.  This would be a social event to raise funds for beautifying the alley and saying goodbye to Holly. Joyce seconded this motion.  All were in favor and the motion passed.

Bill made another motion to keep Lisa for $1,250 from us and $1,250 from LoDo District to do the permitting, arrange the vendors, coordinate with building constituents, organize parking for residents, rent tables and chairs, and make a fundraising ask at the event.  Christine seconded the motion.  All were in favor and the motion passed. 

We decided we would collect RSVPs for the event and charge $20 which would go towards our fundraising efforts – as well as do a formal ask at the event.  Perhaps even a raffle for Broncos tickets on the 23rd of November.

Joyce and Carol volunteered to do the posters and flyers and the committee will meet ASAP.

President’s Update:

Josh gave an update about the inclusionary housing ordinance, which sets the guidelines about lower income housing.  This has seemed to hurt the development of for sale units in Denver.

The next WeeBoT will be July 28th at the Thirsty Lion.

Josh met with Commander Lopez about police officers and the additional 10 we will now have on a special beat.  They are recruiting for these jobs by looking for officers who have a philosophy about being part of the community.  There will be two in the day time and six at night.  These new officers may come to WeeBoT in October.

Josh read a thank you for Ayn Fox for winning the Charlie Award in February.  Ayn will also be our rep on a committee that is deciding what to do with Wynkoop Plaza.   If you have thoughts talk to her about them.

Next Meeting - The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 pm and the next meeting will be September 8, 2014 at 5:30 pm.

Respectfully submitted, Lara Davies, Secretary